Jimi Hendrix is arguably the best rock guitarist of all time. He was also an amazing performer, something which is often overlooked. This site is dedicated to the stage banter Jimi Hendrix would often engage in, making his live performances truly unique.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Yes, as I said before... (Like a Rolling Stone, Monterey)

This is also from "Like a Rolling Stone" from Monterey, where Jimi continues his intro:

Like a Rolling Stone intro continued mp3




He says:

"Yes as I said before, it's really groovy. I'd like to bore you for about six or seven minutes, and do a little thing uh. Yeah. Excuse me for a minute, just let me play my guitar, alright? Right now I'd like to do a little thing uh by Bob Dylan. That's his grandmother over there. It's a little thing called 'Like a Rolling Stone.'"

8 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

What I don't understand is why does he say Bob Dylan's grandmother is "over there". I guess the most obvious answer would be that she WAS, but does anybody know any details about that?

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Tense Past said...

Jimi jokingly called bassist Noel Redding "Bob Dylan's grandmother," maybe because he looked like an elderly, female version of Dylan.

11:50 AM

 
Blogger SuperNuge said...

It sounds more like he's saying "I'd like to borrow you for a bout six or seven minutes" to me, instead of "I'd like to bore you for about six or seven minutes".
Yes, he called Noel Redding "Bob Dylan's Grandmother" and he called Mitch Mitchell "Queen Bee". I'm guessing he was stoned when he came up with those names?

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love you kids who love Jimi (“We are family!”). There was a time (1960s) when Bob Dylan (an idol of Jimi’s) had curly longish hair, and a “white fro.” Noel Redding also had a white fro; but longer, and more bushy, than Dylan’s. “Bob Dylan’s grandmother” is a sorta inside Jimi joke that honors both Dylan and Redding; in an arguably somewhat amusing and trite, but nevertheless “cool,” sorta way. Jimi (said on tape) that he had picked Redding because, among other more relevant reasons: “I liked his hair.” One can reckon that, based on their initial jam together, Jimi judged Redding as perfect for his planned band. Rock history agrees. Redding, as a guitarist playing bass, was perfect for the initial Jimi Hendrix Experience (first 3 albums; except that on #3, Electric Ladyland, Jimi played several of the bass tracks and also brought in bassist Jack Casady from Jefferson Airplane; for one awesome song, namely being the studio live, long version, of Voodoo Child; on which Traffic’s founder Steve Windwood also played keyboards). Jimi always brought out the best in the artists who played with him. Lucky me saw Jimi four times back in the day.

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Dimm Witness said...

Awesome info thanks!

1:43 PM

 
Blogger TC said...

Oh, but such long odds of that being the case 😐

12:48 PM

 
Blogger TC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Elzent said...

Thanks for the translation, I always heard "it's a rhytm guitar, alright?". Do you have the translation for the other moments of show?, Jimi was talking so much that night. Thanks, be well!

10:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home